Summer and I have a love/hate relationship.
It goes a long way back. Even when I was in school, I had mixed feelings about summer vacation. Oh,I was more than happy to sleep in and be free of homework. But if I had my druthers, I would have had that break in winter. Because seriously, who can sleep late or enjoy themselves in the middle of Hazy, Hot, and Humid?
But I'm not a fan of excessive amounts of unstructured time. (Some is good. Too much leads to Armageddon, and I'm not talking about the movie.) I could live without the interruptions. And I still really loathe Hazy, Hot, and Humid.
But there's a long stretch of summer ahead, and I don't want to spend it grumpy and counting down to autumn. With that in mind, I'm staring a list of Things To Love About Summer. I figure I'll post it on the fridge to read as needed.
In addition to the items mentioned above, I am very fond of:
- potato/pasta salads (Yes, I know I can make them at other times of year, but they just don't taste right)
- fresh local strawberries
- Canada Day and the Fourth of July (especially this year, when one is Friday and one is Monday which translates to a Double Long Weekend here at Casa Chaos)
- movie matinees
- my family's annual Beach Day get together
- the clothes are less bulky, so there's less laundry
- the RWA National Conference, where I get to connect with all my Super sisters!