It's quiz time. Get ready to find out the hidden secrets of your reading personality. All you have to do is answer a few questions. Ready?
1. When packing for a trip, the space you allocate for books is:
- a. The side pocket of my carry-on bag. Books are nice, but if Ryan Reynolds is in the in-flight movie, I'm buying headphones.
- b. 1/4 of all available packing space. Books are important, but clean underwear has its place, too.
- c. As much as I can get away with. Nothing ruins a vacation faster than running out of books and I can always wash my socks out in the sink.
- d. I have an e-reader. I travel with more books than most small town libraries and a fresh supply is a click away.
- I can define these acronyms: HEA, TBR, and TSTL.
- I know what day the Harlequin series books get shelved at my local store.
- When I was a kid, I always got a certificate in the public library summer reading program.
- I have turned down an invitation to a social event because I wanted to start and/or finish a book.
- When I hear the word "librarian," my first thought is "dream job."
- When I hear the word "librarian," my first thought is "Karina Bliss," my second thought is "rock star," and my third thought is "yum."
- I have read all or part of at least two of the following: the dictionary, the encyclopedia, a text book for a class I was not taking, the Cosmo Girl's Bedside Astrologer.
- a. None. Why would I carry books around with me?
- b. One.
- c. Two. I might finish, lose, or get bored by one. A spare is essential.
- d. Three or more. (There's really no rational way to explain this one. But that's okay.)
5. When a book you're looking forward to is released you:
- a. Wait, what? How would I know what books are coming out in advance?
- b. Get it when I have a chance. Sometimes I wait for the library or for a friend to lend me a copy.
- c. Pre-order it and pick it up (or have it shipped) the day it's available.
- d. Pre-order to be safe, but then stalk the author on Twitter, hoping to win an advance copy.
For all questions:
- False = 0 points.
- True = 1 point.
- A = 1 point.
- B = 2 points.
- C = 3 points.
- D = 4 points.
Hmmm. You like books, but you're not letting them rule your life. You have been known to watch the occasional movie and it's unlikely you'll be caught scouring yard sales for that elusive first edition of Nora's Irish Thoroughbreds. In fact, you're not even sure you know who Nora is.
Total score 5-9:
You've read a book or two in your day. You can name a favorite author and if you got a book for a birthday gift it wouldn't be the worst thing ever. You might not know your local librarian's name, but you have a card and you know how to use it.
Total score 10-14:
That's what I'm talking about. You're a reader and you're not afraid to show it. If someone asked you that question about the ten books you'd want with you on a desert island, you'd not only have to think about it for a little while, you'd enjoy making the list. (And you'd probably try to sneak an e-reader onto the island so you could bring all the books ever written with you. They come with solar power, right?)
Total score 15+:
Books are your life. In the future, when people are getting operations to turn themselves half-cyborg, the first alteration you'll request is an extra arm and a spare set of eyes so you can read at all times. It's highly likely you not only take quizzes on book blogs, you get the high score.
Tell us your score in the comments. Post your own reading personality test question. Share a great library memory or your favorite spot to sneak a few minutes with a book during the day. Or tell us what you're reading right now because we're always looking for a new recommendation!
I'm giving away a copy of Married by June. (If the winner has read Married by June, I can send an Amazon gift card.)