(I know, I know - we re all well aware of THAT. :-)
Next weekend I will be fortunate enough to
dearest friends in the world. We do this twice each year, and after doing it for many many times, we have it down to a science. We know who is bringing the exercise DVDs, who is providing the wine, and who will be introducing us to funky new teas and organic potions. We know who is an early riser and who needs space to plot with Tarot cards and who can't pick the movie unless we want to end up with The Big Lebowski :-) And where we really shine - other than our page production, of course - is the food.
We have a system here, too, of course. Each person is responsible for her own breakfasts and one group meal. (We also each bring some salad parts and snacks, because seriously, is it even legal to have a writing retreat without chocolate?) At meal time, the person in charge is responsible for everything for that lunch or dinner: planning, shopping, prepping, cooking, and clean-up. And then she is DONE with cooking for the remainder of the retreat. Is that not the most awesome system ever?
I'm signed up for Saturday night's dinner, and here's where I need your assistance. I've cooked all my favorite meals for these ladies already (I told you we've been doing this a long time). I need something new to prepare. The caveats:
- no mushrooms, green peppers, fish, extreme spiciness, or cilantro
- if the basketball game goes into overtime, people may be eating on the sofa. So nothing too messy/fork-dependent.
- soup and tacos are already being prepared by other people
- some hardy souls will still be sticking to their New Year resolutions, so nothing too decadent (translation: nothing from the Pioneer Woman site)
- and above all, it must be easy, because I have a boatload of work to get through on this retreat.
Hit me with your suggestions. If you have links, all the better. In return for your help, on Saturday I'll choose one winner from the comments to receive either a $10 gift card (Amazon, B&N, or Chapters Indigo) OR your choice of one of my books (including, if you're the patient type, an advance copy of my July release Dating A Single Dad, which I should have in June).
Thank you, thank you. I can't wait to see what deliciousness is about to be unleashed.