(In case you haven’t figured out the above, it’s a software pirate. Arrr.)
When I was a kid, my older cousin went to the fabric store and gathered all the materials to help make our costumes. Cats, witches, ghosts—they were always beautiful, tasteful, and well designed.
Sadly, none of her sewing skills were passed on to us, and as we got older and she got busier, my sisters and I had to rely on our own creativity, wits and crafting abilities to cobble together decent Halloween gear.
I recall our first attempt at being “punk rockers.” For some reason, we were all wearing garbage bags. It wasn’t a great success, but we were proud anyhow.
Toward our high school and college years, however, we got to see and make some really cool stuff, mostly thrown together last minute and on tight budgets. And they were some of our best outfits ever.
If you’re struggling to find something to wear tonight, I’ve put together a short list of some easy-to-do ideas I’ve come across over the years:
|Me, as a bag of candy.|
- Wear all pink and tie a shoe to your head: you’re a Piece of Gum!
- Turn a giant paper leaf bag into a smock dress: you’re the Paperbag Princess!
- Fill a clear plastic garbage bag with balloons and cut out holes for your feet and arms: you’re a Bag of Candy!
- Wear the ugliest non-matching clothes you have and put on terrible makeup: you’re a Fashion Disaster!
- Alternatively, wear clothes that are on the verge of falling apart: you’re a Wardrobe Malfunction!
- Wear any of the above and include a large empty picture frame around your neck: you’re Art!
- Grab a big box and decorate it with wrapping paper: you’re God’s Gift to Men/Women/Humanity!
- Tie a pillow to your tummy: you’re human sushi!
- Put a lampshade over your head: you’re the light of someone’s life!
Got any last-minute costume ideas, advice, suggestions or tips to share? Let us know in the comments!
Have a safe, happy and crafty Halloween!